retro cushion covers DIY Rustic Centerpieces personalized wedding gifts

 retro cushion covers     |      2020-01-17

Hello lovely!

Ever since I saw this gorgeous rustic centerpiece back in July, I knew I wanted something similar for my wedding. I totally dig the charming feel and crafty use of book pages. (Aren't wedding blogs great for this kind of inspiration?)

pillow covers floral

[Source]

However, we don't have the budget for those lovely white ceramic vessels, nor do I have the patience to make that many little paper flowers or paint that many twigs white when we have about 30 centerpieces to build! So Nate and I decided to take this concept and make it our own with what we had availableretro cushion covers, and with what we could afford. Using reclaimed wood found behind his parents' house, floral foam bricks (2 of these were needed per centerpiece), white sticks from Ikea, leftover white nails, book pages to cover the floral foam and for flowers (here's how to make them !), and found twigs, we were able to construct 30 of these boxes fairly quickly and also fairly cheaply! Woot!

Here's what we spent on our budget-savvy creation:

$40 on floral foam bricks from Joann (and FYI, in case you live under a rock, they have great deals! They honored the reduced online price in the store, and we were also able to use a $5 coupon with our purchase.)

$20 on white sticks from Ikea (yeah, I know I could've just painted these myself, but it was worth $20 to me to save the hassle!)

$1 on a bag of vintage hardcover books at a library sale

$0 on wood

$0 on nails

TOTAL: $61 for 30 centerpieces (or just over $2 each)

I am so mentally high-fiving myself right now for creating the awesomeness that is a $2 centerpiece! (And I'm also mentally high-fiving my awesome fiance who's a mad-wicked chop saw operator!)

I'd love to hear from you –; what are you doing for your centerpieces to make a big impact without a big budget? Where did your inspiration come from?

Much love,

So there was a 1st birthday in November that I wanted to create something for. The little girl in question is gorgeous, loves colours and loves hiding in and under everything. So I went on a mission to make her a canopy that could be easily cleaned and updated progressively as she grows up. The next steps detail my process for creating this canopy. Please read through and consider your space and patience before attempting this project as it does require some fiddly sewing skills, not difficult but rather slow and cumbersome with the Velcro at times. Please let me know of any spelling or sewing errors. Also feel free to ask any questions about the project. Mini Update: I wanted to say a quick thank you for all the views and favourites! As well as add in a thank you for Michael who was my extra help on this project!

Melt chocolate. This time, I used some orange melting rounds that I had on hand. You can also use high-quality chocolate although the melting process can be more tricky. For a compromise of practicality and taste, I would use Wilton Premium Candy Melts. And maybe add some ghoulish accents with a paint brush.

Hi everyone! Julie Eilber from JetSetSewing.com here. One of the rare treats of being a writer is having the opportunity to meet a sewing idol. And what could be better on a balmy day in Manhattan than to stroll down Lexington Avenue on the way to meet the “Elvis of Haute Couture,” Kenneth King!